WELCOME TO THE ON-LINE HOME OF TEDxNEWYORK.

TEDxNewYork is held at GreyNY, 200 Fifth Avenue. We meet every week (mostly) on Fridays now and (mostly) from 1-2pm. We are open to the public. If you want to attend, send a note to admin@tedxnewyork.com (that's Don McKinney & Chel O'Reilly) with your vitals. Our biggest limitation is space so give us plenty of notice and we'll do our best to accommodate. Hope to see you at one of our events soon.

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Session 2: ReFrame- Ray Anderson



Ray Anderson is an entrepreneur who was success that didn't have to care about the ecological impact of his work, but at some point he decided TO be. And since then he has made Interface Carpet into an ecologically conscious company without sacrificing success as a business.

His equation for success in the world factoring environmental impact, population, affluence, technology of the future, and happiness (satisfying all basic human needs) is how he shows what's wrong and what he wants to fix.

His powerpoint has been dry and the equations hard to translate but then he took a poetic turn, quite literally and brought the audience (the whole place here and there) to their feet.

Tomorrow's Child (which I hope he posts somewhere) is not cheesy as one might guess but profoundly simple in it's message. I forgot you were coming and I didn't mean to do you wrong but I promise to work to do no harm from now on.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your coverage. Here is the text of the poem that Ray shared, which was written by an employee, Glenn Thomas, after Glenn heard Ray speak about sustainability (back in the 90's).

    Tomorrow's Child
    © Glenn Thomas
    Without a name; an unseen face
    and knowing not your time nor place
    Tomorrow's Child, though yet unborn,
    I met you first last Tuesday morn.

    A wise friend introduced us two,
    and through his sobering point of view
    I saw a day that you would see;
    a day for you, but not for me

    Knowing you has changed my thinking,
    for I never had an inkling
    That perhaps the things I do
    might someday, somehow, threaten you

    Tomorrow's Child, my daughter-son
    I'm afraid I've just begun
    To think of you and of your good,
    Though always having known I should.

    Begin I will to weigh the cost
    of what I squander; what is lost
    If ever I forget that you
    will someday come to live here too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ray is very sick and asks for our prayers.

    Glenn Thomas

    ReplyDelete